Surviving Summer (E19)

Almost there! School is back in T-8 days. AND I'M ALIVE TO TELL THE TALE! Knackered, bruised, scratched up and with even fewer fucks to give than six weeks ago, but breathing none the less.
And actually, despite it being eight days, for four of those I'm unashamedly leaving the kids to their own devices (with Dad and carer supervision, of course- I'm not wholly insane just yet) while I jet off to deepest darkest Dorset for a festival. Festivals are my favourite and my best. You know how everyone has those things in life; the things that revive and energise..... The stuff that feels like home? For me, it's live music, adventuring and nature. Festivals are all of that. Incredible live music. People adventures. And all in a field under star-studded skies in the arse end of nowhere.
As you might have guessed, I'm super excited. This point in the holidays is rough; I'm exhausted from crap sleep, no routine, and the brutal physical effort of keeping B safe. All my muscles ache like a bitch, and I could genuinely put forward a case to use some of our B-budget on a spa day and sports massage. But beer, music and mates is an excellent substitute.
Today was fun too. The British bank holiday weather has, for once, been stellar. The sun brought out all the tourists, so we avoided those beaches like the plague. The B-boy also hates traffic, so we ended up discovering a beautiful new almost-green-laning route down to the lesser known Worbarrow bay. It's stunning, and although still busy by B standards, a thousand times more doable than Tourist Central. The water also gets really deep a couple of metres out, so you can properly mermaid there. This afternoon there were boats moored up, so I swam out with the girls and we pretended to siren. For those of you unfamiliar with ocean myth, mermaids used to lure the sailors from their ships with beautiful siren singing, before dragging them to their watery graves. Pretty dark stuff, but fun to reenact on a sunny bank holiday Monday. The B-boy enjoyed rock throwing, one of his favourite activities, and sharked it up with the most excellent anti-drowning device in the shape of a fin. He has zero fear and all the love when it comes to water, so although he can pretty much swim, we always need to be on him in the sea.
So yeah, an exhausting day, but a good team effort all round to get down there and enjoy the sun. Sea swimming. Kid fun. And with my escape just around the corner (Thursday people, THURSDAY) I'm all round feeling the joy of life today. Now all I need is a bestie that works in Lush. Then every day would be a spa day... ðŸ˜‰

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disability 101

Dear Mrs May

Inside-out knicker-trousers... and other tales of joy